Social Sciences & Humanities
The Department of Social Sciences and Humanities offers majors in the areas of Sociology, Corrections, and Music Education. The department also offers courses in Art, Humanities, Philosophy, and Religion.Departmental ObjectivesThe Social Sciences curriculum is designed to accomplish the following objectives:
- To make students more aware of their places on the local and national scenes and to motivate them to play an active role in these affairs.
- To help students develop the behavior, techniques, and methods of the scientist, thereby aiding them in objectively analyzing the social system in which they live.
- To help students achieve a command of accurate and substantial knowledge of historical and sociological facts.
- To inform students that social, political, and economic events, past and present, are related to one another in such a way as to provide a sound basis for the interpretation of present and future events.
- To inculcate in students a critical attitude toward historical and sociological facts.
- To give students an appreciation of the comparative analysis of different social systems as a way of better comprehending the complexities of their own society.
- To equip students with skills and knowledge in their fields of endeavor that will facilitate flexible adjustments in their professional roles in the larger society.